We maintain the highest possible security of our premises to ensure that each child is safely cared for during their time with us.
Children’s personal safety
We ensure all employed staff have been checked for criminal records via an enhanced disclosure with children’s barred list check through the Disclosure and Barring Service. A status check is carried out regularly.
All children are supervised by adults at all times.
We carry out risk assessments to ensure children are not made vulnerable within any part of our premises, nor by any activity.
- Systems are in place for the safe arrival and departure of children.
- The times of the children’s arrivals and departures, and who collected each child are recorded.
- The arrival and departure times of adults – staff, volunteers and visitors – are recorded.
- Our systems prevent unauthorised access to our premises.
- Our systems prevent children from leaving our premises unnoticed.
- We only allow access to visitors with prior appointments.
- Our staff check the identity of any person who is not known before they enter the premises.
- Whilst in the building, all doors are locked.
- As parents/staff and visitors enter the preschool premises, the gates are secure and locked. There is a key pad entry system and only staff have the code. Parents/carers and visitors ring the gate and wait to be let in by staff. If persons are not known, a member of management would question the persons and ask questions. No one is to enter the premises unless known to the member of staff.
- The middle gate has 3 locking systems on the gate and will be padlocked with a combination code when children are outside playing during preschool and wraparound.
- Staff will ensure the padlock is on the middle gate and no one will be able enter through to the preschool between the hours of:
- 9.15am to 11.55am
- 12.35pm to 2.55pm
- 3.45pm to 6.00pm (During after school club when all children are outside)
- Parents who collect children from preschool or afterschool club during these times are asked to wait at the bottom of the steps for a member of staff to let you in or bring your child to you.
- Staff will question any persons they do know and will ask for a secure password when collecting children.
- When all staff and children are inside the padlocks will be removed so parents can walk to the main door to ring for assistance.
- Staff will ensure the padlocks are on or removed at these times.
- There are signs asking parents to ensure the gates are closed.
- We can see through the external doors to visually identify visitors.
- The personal possessions of staff and volunteers are securely stored during sessions in the staffroom.
- Minimal petty cash is kept on the premises.
- A ring doorbell has been installed for security reasons and staff ask for id before opening to any unknown persons.